Wednesday 27 February 2013

THE SHOEMAKER'S WIFE

Ironically the day I write a post about reader's block is the day I complete, correction, finally complete reading another book namely THE SHOEMAKER'S WIFE BY ADRIANA TRIGIANI. I never had knowledge of books and authors in the sense I only knew about the books I picked up and read and I always picked up at random and if I liked an author I would pick up another book by him. Simple. And I picked up shoemaker's wife in an instant too.




When I first opened the book and read the reviews (I have a habit of reading the reviews, studying the cover, and then proceeding through the book) there were nothing but good things to be said about the book. And as I read the first page I knew I would enjoy this journey. A shoemaker's wife is an adventure that recounts the story of 2 people Enza and Ciro who were destined to be together yet life came in the way. Set partly in the Italian Alps and mostly in America, the details about the scenic beauty of the mountains almost make me want to pack my bag and go in real and breathe the air Enza and Ciro did.

The story is divided in 3 parts and inspired by author's grandparents love story. As the first part explore their lives in the villages of Italy, Ciro as a convent boy and Enza as the eldest of 5 kids, and how their destinies are twined with a kiss only to be separated and how life force them out of their homes their country to a foreign land. The second part tells the story of Enza and Ciro in their youth and their dreams and anticipation, and how they strive to make a life for themselves and side by side experiencing the finest emotion of human world "Love" in the land of Manhattan And The third part focuses on the Enza and Ciro's lives together in Minnesota and their dreams turning in reality and yet again being swiped by a cruel twist of fate.

All in all, in 3 parts Adriana Trigiani composes a lyrical life story of two individuals very much in love. She beautifully constructs the life of immigrants who made it on their own even in the face of despair, loss and bad luck. A shoemaker's wife is a must read. It will engross you and take you through an emotional journey and might just leave you teary eyed.

You can order the shoemaker's wife here. (You can buy it much cheaper in the stores near you)

P.S: Its a book set in the 20th century and noone loves a period drama more than me.

Sayonara my imaginary fanbase. Keep Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment